The Penderwicks at Point Mouette

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)After reading both Matt’s and Gus’ reviews of The Penderwicks:  a Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits and a Very Interesting Boy I decided I needed to reacquaint myself with Jeanne Birdsall’s characters.  I remember liking the story very much.  I remembered the sisters and their meetings, Mrs. Tifton (who could forget her), Jeffrey, Sabrina Star and the bull, but that was all.  Time to read again.   I did and was immediately caught up with the each interesting character – striking in how they cared for each other while supporting their rights to be an individual.  I had such a calm, quiet feeling when I finished reading.

Right away I moved The Penderwicks at Point Mouette to the top of my to-be-read.  I’m so glad!  Skye, Jane and Batty are going to Maine with Aunt Claire.  Dad, Iantha and Ben are in England and Rosalind is off to the shore with a friend.  The family has been split apart and because of this we get to know the individual main characters a bit more. (Yes, even Rosalind in how the family selects the parts of their vacation to tell her about so she can continue to enjoy her’s worry free.) This story features Skye and how she deals with OAP (oldest available Penderwick) status, managing her wishes, controlling her temper and considering what it is like to be in another’s shoes.  Along the way there are dog mishaps, moose, music, golf balls, and a flashy skateboarding dude.

The ending, though not totally a surprise, is wonderful indeed!  When I finished reading, I again appreciated how the characters move through trials big and small, annoying, challenging and exhausting and are still able to believe in each other in the selfless way I admire and truly hope to live up to.  What a wonderful book.  What wonderful writing.  I can’t wait to read the next book.

You might like to read about all of Jeanne Birdsall here at her website:  Jeanne Birdsall