Vacation Reading

Hi Matt,

I hope your holiday was wonderful (how did the bake-off go?).  We spent two wonderful days with family and now… we have lots of leftovers.  I do have some great books to share with you…  I have discovered that when I am wrapping gifts, riding in the car or cooking I can “read.”  Because there was a great deal of that kind of time during these last few days I have finished listening to The Incorrigible Children of Ashoton Place – the Mysterious Howling by Marywood Rose, The Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi, Operation Yes by Sara Lewis Holmes and The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Purse by Alan Bradley.

The Mysterious Howling (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1) Operation YesThe Search for WondLa (WondLa, #1)

I think you would like all of them.  The first two are the beginning to series.  There are two books about the Incorribible Children so far.  Have fun finding out about them  on the website.  The author also shares that there will be a third one soon.  The second Wondla book is due to be released in May.  That is planned to be a trilogy – think combination of The City of Ember and the-other-worldliness of Zorgamazoo.  I can’t wait to find out why Eva Nine was left in her underground Sanctuary and what fate remains for humankind.  You can find out more bout Tony DiTerrlizzi’s creation process here – it is very interesting. Operation Yes is a totally unique book. Set at the school of an airforce base where children often move in and out and life is in flux – family members are sent overseas and assigned to dangerous wartime missions, this story centers on the plan a sixth grade class develops to make a difference in the lives of veterans wounded in the war and their families.  Their beloved teacher, Miss Loupe, is among the first to benefit from their care and determination.  It is a book I am looking forward to reading again!  When you read about the author and the book you can understand more of how this book idea developed.  Check that out here.  The final book is from a murder mystery series written for adults but I am sure you will like them.  (It made me think of reading Agatha Christie books when I was your age.  My mom loved mysteries and they were always around the house.) The main character is Flavia de Luce.  She’s 11.  She lives in Buckshaw, a victorian manor, in England  in the 1950’s where she has access to a fully furnished, although dated, chemistry lab.   Flavia rides across the countryside on Gladys her faithful bicycle collecting clues and making observations the police aren’t even yet aware of.  She is a fun character . You’ll laugh at the amazing predicaments she gets herself into and out of – often solved because of her fascination with chemistry and her passion for potions.  I’ve read two in the collection  – I have two more to go and I hope there are more.

I know these are not on my list of books to review next, but I really think you would like them – others who read our blog too.  What are you reading this vacation?  Did you get any great new books?

I hope the rest of your vacation is wonderful.  I’m off to finish The Dragon’s Tooth today.

See you soon!

Mrs. Eaves

(Hi Jenny!  – Happy vacation!)